Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Holidays (daze)
How do you all cope with holidays and kids? This is the first year my 3-year old daughter "gets it". She alternates between being excited and scared that a tubby guy in a beard is going to come into our house at night and leave gifts. Since we don't have a fireplace she is also asking how he is going to come in. My MIL said through the heating system (big mistake). So now every night Lindsey points to the heat vent in room and asks if Santa is going to come into her room while she is sleeping. That even seems scary to me! I also have a problem where I keep buying one more gift on Amazon for her - knowing my Mom bought her too much already. I want my kids to learn that this time is about being thankful & being with family - but I get easily caught up in the whole gift thing. It is hard not to overdo it - isn't it? Please share your holiday tips, plans, vent your frustrations etc. Oh & happy holidays! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hmm. The heat vent does seem a tad scary. Perhaps he parks his sleigh out back and comes in through the family room while the reindeer nibble in Mommy's garden.
ReplyDeleteMy 3-year-old is excited about Santa and Christmas. She hasn't been afraid so far - except for at the mall. She told me she was very afraid of the Santa there b/c he had big, funny, white hands like Mickey Mouse.
I do feel like I'm using the 'be good; Santa is watching' threat too much and I don't want it to ruin anything for her. It works pretty well, though!
There are a million gifts I would love to get her . . . and she adds more to the list every day.
Dear Santa, Mommy needs more cash!!
Ho! Ho! Ho!
I am in the same situation - first year my 3-year old gets it. I am using the "be good, Santa is watching" more than I'd like too (I promised I wouldn't use it). Mia isn't afraid and isn't that focused on Santa, but is very focused on gifts. I think the big problem is her birthday is a week before Christmas and we (unfortunately) had her party almost a month before her birthday, so the gift train has been rolling for a month and isn't going to end until a few days after Christmas. She asks almost every day to open presents.
ReplyDeleteNancy - I know you were looking for advice, but I've got none. Hopefully knowing you are not alone makes it a little better.
I think next year we will start a holiday charity/volunteering tradition. We talked about giving toys to kids that don't have as much, but I'd love to take her somewhere to volunteer and I think next year she will "get" that a little more.
Good luck to Santa getting into your house!!