Saturday, September 5, 2009

Infant Nipple confusion

Anyone have any real life experience with infant nipple confusion? I have a 5 day old here who only takes the bottle(long story), and while I am not worried about his intake(he has a hearty appetite), it is a huge drag to pump all of the milk that he wants/needs. Not to mention that I have a 2.5 year old; it is tough enough to keep up with him without dragging around a pump! I have the books, I have previous experience with difficult latching, I have advice from our pediatrician. What I am looking for is your real life stories about what worked for you and what did not! I am pretty sure that I have a good plan, but it would be great to hear some encouraging words that "this too shall pass!"

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. With my 1st baby, I was so concerned about this I almost starved him to death by not giving him a bottle when finally someone told me to relax, he can have the bottle and nurse too. He began nursing very efficiently at about 10-14 days old. It was difficult to get him to take a bottle after that but he did eventually. What I learned is that there really is no such thing as nipple confusion. Babies will nurse happily and take the bottle. Both my children much prefer to nurse over the bottle, but did both since they were in daycare. I pumped twice a day and nursed the rest for almost a year. I hope this helps and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had the baby! Congratulations! I hope things are going ok, although having to pump full time definitely seems like a lot of work, not very much fun and I am sure is stressful. I don’t have any advice for you as my experience with nipple confusion went the other way and Mia wouldn’t take a bottle and I am pretty the sure the tips I received for that aren’t going to work for you! I do know I hate pumping the two times a day I do it, so I really feel for you. I hope your little one realizes what he is missing soon and that someone here can give you some helpful tips from personal experience.

    I will send you an email, but let me know if you need anything. I am so close I am happy to pick things up for you when I am at the store, etc. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: I went to see a lactation consultant--best call EVER! Best money spent EVER! My little guys has been nursing at the breast every time since the appointment this morning! Woot! I got advice and guidance that was specific to my baby's mouth, my breasts, and our needs. I have to admit that I thought that such an extravagance was unnecessary, but boy was I wrong on all counts. Seeing a lactation consultant was NOT an extravagance, and it was 100% helpful and necessary. I learned a lot---I am now able to convince my 9 day old that my boob is MUCH better then a bottle! yippee! For reference of folks in the Boston area, I saw the very kind woman at Lactation Care, Inc. You can find them on the web at www.lactationcare.com.

    Many thanks for the kind words of support and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! I am really happy for you. What a huge relief, I am sure. I went to Lactation Care after Anna was born too. The doctor felt she wasn't gaining enough weight and I was skeptical about needing to go to the lactation consultant. I mean, she nursed fine, it was a second baby so I "knew" how to breast feed, I thought why would I need to go to a lactation consultant. My experience was very much like yours. They are amazing at what they do and I was sort of embarrassed that while my child nursed fine, she didn't have a proper latch and really wasn't getting enough food.

    Congrats again. I can only imagine how much easier this is going to make your life. Hope you are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete