Ok, we've had some major potty training developments in the last week and I need some feedback. Mia has been in "big girl underwear" all week. A big shout out to daycare because this would not be the case without them. We tried over the weekend and had a great 1/2 day Friday and a very unsuccessful Saturday and then gave up on Sunday deciding to revisit it in a month or so. However, Monday morning she wanted to wear underwear to daycare and I said fine knowing she generally does better at daycare. She had one poop accident the first two days and no accidents today and has only been in diapers at night. So, we are happy with the start, but... this is in a daycare environment that is very structured.
The catch is she is NOT telling us she has to go. We ask if she has to go or we just put her on, and she goes. But... I don't considered it potty trained until she can tell us she has to go. Right? At what point should she be telling us she has to go? I know with most kids it would be by now. Is there anything we can do to encourage her to tell us? Does this mean she isn't really ready and we are just getting lucky with her going when we ask and staying dry the rest of the time?
Also, I know for some kinds it is harder to master poop on the potty. Anyone have any experience with kids being potty trained to pee, but not to poop. I can't believe I've typed the word "poop" so much in this entry. This is my life now I guess!
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If I recall correctly, it took Addy a VERY long time to get pro-active about letting us know she needed to go. Maybe a year or so? She'd even tell us no if we asked and then would pee when we put her on the toilet anyway. I considered her trained because she would stay dry and hold it until she was on the toilet. We just had to be vigilant about making sure she took potty breaks on a regular basis while she continued to develop full control. After a while, she got to where she could hold it for hours. Then, it became obvious when she had to go because she'd start squirming and doing the need-to-pee dance. So, she still wasn't outright telling us, but we knew by watching her.
ReplyDeleteI also think poop and pee training can happen on different schedules--they did for Addy. She stopped pooping in diapers before she stopped peeing in them, though I know many kids do the reverse. Just like day and night training can happen at different times.
It sounds like Mia is showing an interest and readiness to lose the diapers. Follow her lead--there may be some accidents as you all adjust, but that's all part of the process.
Well, after posting (like the next morning) Mia started to tell us that she had to go the bathroom and she seemed to figure out the poop business, so I think going full time in underwear really helped move things along quickly. Much more so than if we'd try to convince her to be toilet trained while in diapers. We are now over a week in underwear full-time with the exception of bedtime. She has had a couple of poop accidents (and one very unfortunate pee accident on someone's rug...someone I don't know very well...sorry Molly!), but she is doing really great. We even did a road trip with no portable potty (I did just order one yesterday) in the car and no where to stop really and she made it dry both ways. On the way home so stayed dry for HOURS and through her nap once we got home. No one cares about my kid and her bathroom habits, but it is pretty exciting around here.
ReplyDeleteWay to go Mia!! It sounds like she's ready and doing great. Nice work, Mama! Though she started daytime potty training right at 2, Addy was somewhere between 3 and 3.5 when she was finally ready to go without the nighttime diaper. I think she stayed dry most of the night then wet the diaper when she woke up in the morning. We just let her make the call on when she was ready to try without the diaper/pull up. She went back and forth for a little while, then she was just ready to be free of diapers. After that, she had a handful of night time accidents, and then by 3.5 she had it all figured out. I was kind of surprised at how long it took her between staying dry all day and staying dry all night. Then again, Mia might take a whole different approach. I know of other kids who started staying dry day and night all at the same time...
ReplyDeleteWow, Mia (and Mom and Dad) is doing great! Potty training is one of those things that feels like it will NEVER be over, and each kid has their own schedule. Caleb was about a month, Ethan was about 2 years, and Ella was somewhere in between. It's one of those "two steps forward, one step back" experiences. Hope it's still going well!
ReplyDelete